[LUG] Upscreening me laptop

Just been doing some coding on my laptop and was wondering about getting a new one with a humungous screen as the IDE I'm using has grown to fill more than the space available and then I thought, as I only ever use it on my lap why not just get a 'stick on' bigger screen as if it was on a desktop! Just wondering if anyone's been down this road as I have been unable to search successfully for a 'solution'?
Tom te tom te tom