Re: [LUG] Fwd: FTTC - follow up

I've been using the Devolo stuff for years. It works fine.

I have never used other homeplug equipment to do a speed comparison, but that's
because I've never had a Devolo fail on me yet - and I've been using them for years,

However - as this is a LUG - it used to have appalling lack of support for the fancy
tools on Linux.

I notice on the website (http://www.devolo.co.uk/) that there is a Linux download
for the "Cockpit" software, but I've not tried it.

I used a simple kit as a wifi extender in a granite farmhouse (you know, 2' thick
walls, etc) and it worked perfectly - on both the 1970's wiring and the 2010's
wiring done recently.

You just need to be aware of meters & fuse (RCD) boards - one place had a completely
separate circuit in a loft conversion and the RCD panel appeared to cause a drop in
bandwidth.

After reading the email chain below, I would not hesitate in suggesting to go the
home plug route... hopefully you've got enough space to lose the BT equipment and a
homeplug converter (they're just like a large power adapter) and then you can just
move the other converter anywhere you want it.... upstairs... fine... then you fancy
working in the lounge... just take the adapter with you.

You can even do it the other way around - use a wifi converter near the BT master
socket which will cover downstairs with wifi, then have a "hard-wired" connection
upstairs (or another wifi...)

Really easy

One downside... cost.