Re: [LUG] Powering Raspberry Pi from DC PSU?

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 16:43:06 +0000 (GMT)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Gordon,

>On Tue, 12 Nov 2013, Brad Rogers wrote:
>> Power to microUSB /seems/ to be unique to the Pi.  So far, I've not
>> been able to locate a power to ÂUSB cable,
>All the mobile phones & tablets that have passed through this house in
>the past 3 years have used ÂUSB for charging... It's fairly standard

Yes, indeed.  I was inexplicit.  What I /meant/ was that ready made
power-USB cables seem to be unavailable with the ÂUSB connector.  Of
course, many power brick phone chargers come with a ÂUSB on the end.

>Powering the Pi via the 5V line on the GPIO conector is fine. Many
>people do it, myself included - as well as RPi foundation members...
>It's "OK". What you lose is protection from the on-board polyfuse on
>the ÂUSB input port - some say that's not a bad thing as the polyfuse
>drops a few mV anyway... Some protection might be prudent though...

A few mV drop is probably fine compared with a 5V i/p.  Depends what you
mean by a "few" of course.   :-)

>I'd just chop off the barrel connector and make up something to fit
>the GPIO...

You and me both.  If Rob doesn't feel up to it there are obviously
plenty of people here that are more than capable doing the job for him.

--
 Regards  _
Life's short, don't make a mess of it