Re: [LUG] OT: USB hub

On 07/11/13 17:56, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 17:10:20 +0000
Tom <madtom1999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Tom,

That is an international standard
Ah, standards.  I love 'em;  So many to choose from.   ;-)

In the early days of such things, as often as not, the +ve would be on
the outer part.  That never made sense to me.  Admittedly, at 5V any
harm to either person or equipment would most likely be minimal, but
there's always a risk.

I was looking at doing some chip design lately and as far as I could tell the process I was looking at could allow you to make a chip that would take anything from 2.5v DC (any polarity)  to 250V ac as an input and provide 5V DC at 1amp for about 30p in mass production! I say 'as far as I could tell' cos they wanted £40K upfront for access to the real details... and no manufacturer would buy something that would make their product semi-eternal!
Tom te tom te tom