Re: [LUG] yum curl error [14]

On Wed, 2013-11-06 at 23:38 +0000, Philip Hudson wrote:
> Also check /etc/hosts for static hostname-IP mappings that are weird/wrong
>
> On 06/11/2013, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On 6 Nov 2013, at 22:33, bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Your yum.repo looks completely normal. The problem is either as Tom
> >> suggested, a network issue such as a proxy or permissions, or much more
> >> likely the same problem that has plagued Fedora since day 1: syncing of
> >> mirrors. They never seem to manage to keep all of them in perfect
> >> lockstep.
> >
> > Problem is name resolution - so it will be name resolution - really (Or
> > selinux, or a proxy setting, or something really weird)...
> >
> > I hit similar recently.
> >
> > I think yum is doing something odd, check (and/or post) contents of
> > /etc/resolv.conf
> >
> > In particular are all name servers listed (or served via DHCP) working and
> > resolving this address?
> >
> > Failing that check /var/log/audit to rule out SELinux
> >
> > And double check /etc/yum for proxy, and/or shell settings.
> >
> > But I'm betting one nameserver isn't playing, and yum is intolerant of that
> > when it shouldn't be.
> >

> --
> phil.hudson@xxxxxxxxx                      PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63

I have a good /etc/reslove.conf my router BT and also google,
hosts are just internal but I did tray a static address for the first
Mirror but no change,

One thing i am getting with Fedora 18 (seen it on 3 machines now) is..

When you first open a browser the page is Cant Find server. If you just
click try again it loads up and carries on until you close the browser,
then will repeat as before.

Could it be a timing thing with my (BT's) dns?
as this always happens with a ping etc...
for example

[kevin@kevin ~]$ traceroute btinternet.com
btinternet.com: Name or service not known
Cannot handle "host" cmdline arg `btinternet.com' on position 1 (argc 1)
[kevin@kevin ~]$ traceroute btinternet.com
traceroute to btinternet.com (213.123.20.90), 30 hops max, 60 byte
packets
 1  gateway (192.168.2.2)  0.575 ms  0.848 ms  1.041 ms
 2  217.32.141.5 (217.32.141.5)  28.806 ms  31.601 ms  32.448 ms
^C
[kevin@kevin ~]$

the commands are 1 second apart.!!!

Regards