Re: [LUG] yum curl error [14]

On 06/11/13 20:54, Kevin Lucas wrote:
> HI all
> Does anyone use Yum?
>
> I have in on a new x86_64 mobo with Fedora 18 and get constantly
> http://mirror.arlug.ro/pub/fedora/linux/releases/18/Everything/x86_64/os/repodata/repomd.xml:
>  [Errno 14] curl#6 - "Could not resolve host: mirror.arlug.ro; Name or service not
> known"
> this is repeated for all the mirrors ad inf...
>
> Dns is OK and I can ping all of them.
> I have yum cleaned all  /updated etc but to no avail.
>
> Tinkering as you do I tried the plugins Enable / disable to no avail but
> when I changed exectarch from 1 to 0 in yum.conf all is working ok
>
> is this risky?
>
> [main]
> cachedir=/var/cache/yum/$basearch/$releasever
> keepcache=0
> debuglevel=2
> logfile=/var/log/yum.log
> exactarch=0
> obsoletes=1
> gpgcheck=1
> plugins=1
> installonly_limit=3

Your yum.repo looks completely normal. The problem is either as Tom
suggested, a network issue such as a proxy or permissions, or much more
likely the same problem that has plagued Fedora since day 1: syncing of
mirrors. They never seem to manage to keep all of them in perfect lockstep.

I tend to edit /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo (and potentially any others
such as livna.repo, etc) and comment out the mirrorlist line: Fedora
uses this to grab random repos from the main URL, some of which
invariably don't work properly. Uncomment the baseurl variable instead
and make sure it's set to a sane, major repo instead of one of the
hundreds of half-arsed slow ones from some Eastern European University.

Mine are usually set to the master:

baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/os/
#mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=$basearch

This situation is even worse in Rawhide, where the mirrors are *never*
in sync.

Regards