[LUG] ISP problems??

Recently I started a thread about my problems with the download speeds on my computer. The general consensus was that it was a problem with my ISP [1]. Well, I am still having speed variations, for example

31st October at 3.45 pm 3.7 Mb/s

This morning, 1st Nov at 8.20 am 11.97 Mb/s

Just now at 11.30 am 4.59 Mb/s

During all this time the router is showing a download speed of over 14 Mb/s and this is consistent.

This is becoming ridiculous. So I have been searching for ideas and reviews about a reasonable ISP, preferably in the UK. The problem is that for every good review there is another bad one for the same ISP. I am getting just a little frustrated, so I am appealing to the group for some suggestions.

There must be some good ones out there, surely??

Neil

[1] My current ISP is fast.co.uk. I have been with them exactly 6 years and it is only during the last few weeks that this problem has appeared, from early September judging by my results.