Re: [LUG] slightly OT - cabinet air conditioning.

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013, Tom wrote:

On 20/10/13 13:40, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sun, 20 Oct 2013, Simon Waters wrote:

Really is insanely expensive stuff small air-con. I'm thinking the whole house thing may be sensible, as if you have damp, or lack heating, the cold and damp will take a toll on things potentially more sensitive than guitars. A nice cabinet like the one described at link above would even out smaller short terms changes, if you are playing them regularly you probably don't want the temperature or humidity too far for ambient anyway.

Cigar humidor? but I've just had a quick google and they're stupidly expensive too.

Although, I wonder about a "cheap" one which might be adaptable to keep a larger cabinet at the temp/humidy you need with the addition of a big/slow fan, etc. ...

Gordon

I'm beginning to think this could be a pi project! A £10 peltier cooling element on a metal collector and a £10 hygrometer for humidity control and thermometer for setting heating and the peltier to cool. Shame its cheaper to buy the bits in meters etc than it is to just get the appropriate elements.
Actually, come to think of it , its a teeny weeny pic project.

There are combined temp + humidity sensors. (DHT22 for example)

Also, if you drive the peltier via an H bridge (or even a pair of relays!) you can change the direction of heat flow - ie. heat up the box, or cool it down. You need both internal and external fans and heatsinks on the peltier though.

A separate bucket of water and a towel and a fan to control humidity and off you go.

Can't say I give as much care to my didgeridoo though.

I'm thinking of building a proving cupboard for my breads too - it'll probably be a 40 watt lightbulb at the bottom of an insulated cupboard...

Gordon