Re: [LUG] slightly OT - cabinet air conditioning.

On 20 Oct 2013, at 11:41, Tom wrote:

I need a small air con unit for a cabinet to keep a few guitars in and it occurred to me that there may be just this sort of thing for server rack but the ones I've found so far are well overpowered.
Any ideas?

I've seen same for Wine cabinets, but usually built-in and horrendously expensive. Hmm Wine X magazine has an example using an old fridge which only cost $1000 (hmm).

He could have bough a couple of Bosch wine cabinet for that sort of money but they are too small for guitars.

Hmm at the sort of prices wine cabinets are it would be cheaper to air-con the whole house for the rest of your days.

Museum air-con looks expensive too.

Then I started thinking guitar flight cases, and ended up with http://accessnsight.com/guitar-humidity-control.html

Who use water and/or silica gel as needed.

Really is insanely expensive stuff small air-con. I'm thinking the whole house thing may be sensible, as if you have damp, or lack heating, the cold and damp will take a toll on things potentially more sensitive than guitars. A nice cabinet like the one described at link above would even out smaller short terms changes, if you are playing them regularly you probably don't want the temperature or humidity too far for ambient anyway.