Re: [LUG] Gparted questions

On 18/10/13 12:49, Neil Winchurst wrote:
I have used gparted occasionally, but do not consider myself to be an expert. I have Googled about this, but am still a bit wary.

I have a laptop which is used for testing and trials. At the moment it has Xubuntu 13.04 and Mint 15 Xfce on it as a dual boot. I have decided that I no longer want Mint. I have just prepared a memory stick with the latest version of Xubuntu, version 13.10, so I would like to test it out.

So what I plan is to remove Mint from the drive, thus freeing up the space, and then to install Xubuntu 13.10 alongside v 13.04. Can I simply delete the Mint partition first and then install v 13.10 as a dual boot? Does deleting a partition mean that it becomes free space ready to use?

Perhaps I am being too careful, the laptop is not my main machine so if I mess it up it will be a pain but not a disaster.

Thanks for any help,

Neil

Make sure you know which partition has Mint on. Go for the install - when it asks you where you want to install it go into 'manual' and make the old mint partition the root partition. It will probably reuse the swap partition but make it swap otherwise.
Tom te tom te tom