Re: [LUG] take a tablet

On Thu, 17 Oct 2013, Tom wrote:

I'm not a great fan of android per se - is just a reinvention of the wheel that alrady rolls prettywell.The chromebooks can be made to switch between android and linux at a keypress and it seems the drivers are at the kernel level not the android level so you dont actually gain anything in android. When running Linux you have access to... well everything you need. I'd be quite happy to cart around a limited android device that I can then plugin at home as a desktop.

I know what you're saying, but I have a fully functional Android device, with a wired keyboard that I can run SSH on, Skype, SIP, view web pages (firefox, synced with my desktop bookmarks), browse its local filesystem, and remote filesystems via CIFS/SMB, plug it into a PC and have the PC mount it's internal store, ...

Oh, and di I mention that it also runs my BASIC interpreter, so I can develop "apps" for it in BASIC... :-)

Gordon