Re: [LUG] take a tablet

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013, Tom wrote:

On 15/10/13 09:48, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 15 Oct 2013, Tom wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24520499

That, plus the Tesco one seems overpriced to me.

However I just bought this:

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Tablets/8%22+Sumvision+Cyclone+Voyager+IPS+16GB+Tablet+PC+?productId=56405 but I got it a month or so ago when Aria had them on special deal. Even so, they have lots of 7" tablets (that's an 8" one) for less than the Teaso/Argos ones.

What you won't get is 3G connectivity though, but what phone can't tether these days?

Gordon

Prices crashing everywhere!
Have you tried plugging it into a TV or monitor with hdmi? If so does it run OK - and can you run a linux on it? These things are more powerful than a 5 year old desktop and thats probably good enoght for the kids!

I've not plugged it into a TV, but I don't see why it won't work - it came with mini to full size hdmi converter. It also came with a USB to USB cable to let me plug in keyboards and usb drives and another PC. I have a case with a usb keyboard built in which works well.

As for "does it run Linux". Doh - of course it runs Linux it's an Android tablet!

If you mean "does it run something like Debian", then I don't know and frankly I don't care - why would I cripple its hardware designed to run Android with a standard Linux distro on it?

Gordon