Re: [LUG] OT: Hard Disk Reliability - Which manufacturer to choose?

On Sat, 05 Oct 2013 20:53:50 +0100, Roland Tarver
<roland.tarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 05/10/13 19:28, lhs47crewe@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> I have been having problems with 2.5" Toshiba hard drives.
>> Sent from my BlackBerry smartphone on O2

Get two drives from different manufacturers.  You'll know then they'll be
from different batches, different plants and not as likely to have the same
issue.  If you get two identical drives then they could in theory get two
drives with the same fault.

Personally I've had drives fail from lots of manufacturers (Seagate, WD,
Hitachi/IBM, Samsung, Maxtor).  There aren't many manufacturers out there
these days, the big guys seem to be buying the smaller guys up (IIRC WD
bought Hitachi which was IBM before that) and Seagate I gather recently
bought the hard drive unit of Samsung.  Maxtor drives are now re-badged
Seagate drives too (well they have been for the past few years).

If it was me I'd maybe go for a Western Digital drive and maybe a Seagate.
Not because I prefer them, it's just if you go for say Verbatim or Freecom
etc, chances are you're going to get maybe a Western Digital or Seagate
drive in the case.  You know with Western Digital you're unlikely to get a
Seagate drive in the case, and you're unlikely to get a Western Digital
drive in a Seagate case.

You can buy a bare drive and get your own case but it might just be as
easy to get an external drive.  eSATA will be quicker than USB as USB uses
the host machine's CPU for data transfer.  But USB is readily available and
backwards compatible (so a USB3 drive will work on a USB2 or USB 1.1
controller albeit at the slower interface speed).  eSATA is handy if you
have the interface on your PC.

Rob