[LUG] OT: Hard Disk Reliability - Which manufacturer to choose?

Hi Folks,

Perhaps this topic is not really worthy of your collective experience, however since its been mentioned recently I thought I'd try my luck....

So, as BA recently guessed (I think when Phil's external hard disk went pop), I am one of those guys with a "half arsed approach to backups."! I have happily been plugging in an external WD 1TB drive (via usb) and rsyncing my files across..... Can you see what's comming?....

....that's right!.... lol.... the drive seems to be having a bit of a wobble. As per advice, I stopped using it immediately and it has not been powered up since. I will worry about recovering any data when I have some drives to recover it too....

So, I have been researching hard disks and considered buying an internal drive and putting it in a caddy myself (the you tube videos look dead easy). However, there seems to be very little difference in cost or any other benefit that I can fathom (?). Apart from perhaps including an eSATA connection? Since there does not seem to be a huge speed difference between USB 3.0 and SATA 6gb/s and given that virtually all computers these days have usb ports, I was going down the usb 3.0 route only. (good plan?)

So, I need x2 external USB 3.0 disks from a decent manufacturer. Which leads me to the most important of questions.... What are the decent manufacturers?

I have had a look at a few studies and it seems that Fijitsu, WD (eeeasy BA!!) and Seagate are some of the most reliable.? To be fair, the data is a little out of date and is lacking on many models of hard disks (the less popular ones).

http://www.storagereview.com/php/survey/survey_result_tree.php?k1=uHdG9BGYn6&id=0&ph\=

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hdd-reliability-storelab,2681-2.html

Before taking the plunge and spending my hard earned cash, any final advice from those here would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Roly :-)

PS, eventually I will make a backup box and / or a NAS. But for me that represents *a lot* of learning - which i just don't have time for right now.... :-)