Re: [LUG] OT: Hard Disk Reliability - Which manufacturer to choose?

On 5 October 2013 20:53, Roland Tarver <roland.tarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 05/10/13 19:28, lhs47crewe@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I have been having problems with 2.5" Toshiba hard drives.
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone on O2

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Waters<simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 19:25:04
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<list@dcglug.org.uk>
Subject: Re: [LUG] OT: Hard Disk Reliability - Which manufacturer to choose?

The big players like Google have stats, but without them I think any of the manufacturers mentioned are fine. Last time I dug deep WD had a slight lead in firmware support for various interesting new bits of the standards, but unless you plan to use those functions that won't matter to you. Possible the gap has closed.

Thanks for your replies both of you. I am thinking I will probably go for a couple of seagate drives.

cheers roly :-)

We have a 1TB Seagate drive that I was given as part of a data recovery job a few years back. It just completely stopped being recognised by *any* machine. Turns out it was a firmware bug that they rectified in a firmware update, but didn't make it particularly widely known (as it only affected a small % of their devices). They offered free support on these disks for this problem. Even though this problem was prevalent around 2005 and hasn't been seen much since, our disk only fell prey to this bug a few months back, and they still honoured their "send it to us, we'll fix it and recover any data if necessary, and we'll pay for the courier both ways" support for it.

I didn't used to really rate Seagate any higher than the others until now.

Grant.