Re: [LUG] Not OT, but apropos of nothing

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013, bad apple wrote:
Interesting that you ran into something I consider critical as well -
Emacs until you hit a trashed machine and had to work with a massively
reduced, probably statically linked emergency shell. Now I'm not a big
fan of Emacs - partly because it's just not my cup of tea, partly
because it's an unholy sprawling bloated monstrosity but mainly for
practical reasons. I spend a lot of time in disaster recovery mode with
nodes booted to sash (SGI standalone shell), init 1 (Solaris, AIX,
Linux) or various other states of disrepair and no matter what, even if
I've only got a statically linked emergency/rescue shell running, I can
get /bin/sh and /bin/vi functional. And with those I can fix most
anything. Good luck getting Emacs functional in those environments to
rebuild a knackered /etc file, a Grub record, etc.

I really don't know if it was emacs to blame that it had stopped working. It happened back in 2005 or 2006, when I knew a lot less about computers. I think part of the hard drive (of a fairly old laptop) became corrupted and some programs crashed. Emacs did, vim didn't. I didn't get a statically linked emergency shell running, nor would I have understood what that meant back then.

I also wanted to include tcpdump/nmap (although I prefer Wireshark for
traffic analysis if possible) as well, but thought I'd try and keep it
to a neat 5.

I usually combine tcpdump and wireshark. The former to generate a PCAP file which I then download onto my local machine to analyse with wireshark.

Martijn.