Re: [LUG] Not OT, but apropos of nothing

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013, bad apple wrote:
Solitaire (senior doctors/consultants)...

:-)

My top five would be perl, vim, ssh, w3m, tcpdump.

I use Perl for things where I should really use bash (though less so these days), including one-liners on the CLI. I also use it where C, or Python, or PHP, would be more natural.

I used to use (x)emacs and nedit (IIRC) as editors until one day the laptop I was using (to write that never-finished Ph.D. thesis on...) got a corrupted hard drive and half the programs stopped working. Vim was the only editor that still worked, so I was forced to learn that. I've not looked back since.

SSH is obvious, I guess. I do things with servers.

W3m is an obscure text-browser. A but like lynx, but better. Most of the web these days really requires you to use a full-fledged browser, with graphics and JavaScript and all that (and that's probably a good thing), but quite a few pages still work when only displaying text. And it's damn fast.

As with vim, I know less than 10% of tcpdump's capabilities, but I've started to use it more and more for network diagnostics.

Martijn.