[LUG] Not OT, but apropos of nothing

If I had a quid for every time I've had the "what's your favourite
program/application" conversation, I'd be very, very drunk.

The answers vary obviously - Cubase (amateur hiphop producers),
Photoshop (graphics designers) SolidWorks/CAD (engineers), "Facebook" -
which I suppose is an application in the phone app sense - (teenagers),
EndNote/SPSS (junior doctors), Solitaire (senior doctors/consultants)...
ITunes, VLC, Firefox, Visual Studio have all come up more often, and
there's always particular games or prehistoric oddities that come up
("AOL Online") - one joker managed to say "Clippy" with a straight face.
My answer(s) are pretty different and a lot more basic, and except where
sysadmins or Linux users have been concerned have always been met with
blank stares. I'll list them, in descending order of importance:

1:    sh*
2:    vi**
3:    ssh***
4:    gcc****
5:    screen*****

I use all of these tools without exception every day of my life, working
or not and I literally couldn't function without them. I thank god,
Richard Stallman and every FLOSS hippy that followed after every time I
use them. They also have a special added bonus in that these five tools
technically give you the ability to then go and recreate any other
program with them as well - cool!

What about anyone else?

Regards

* sh - for convenience sake, I've put the original sh: compatible modern
shells like bash/zsh are obviously fine too
** vi - no arguments about damn emacs please. good luck using emacs to
fix config files in a statically linked recovery shell
*** not distinguishing between client/server here obviously
**** technically an entire suite, but you know what I mean
***** tmux, byobou and others are acceptable too, I just prefer the classic