Re: [LUG] Net install (first timer)

Cheers BA.

I had a glance at the board but couldnt see any model or revision numbers inside under the masses of ide cables and such.
Without turning the system on im guessing i got a athlon64 or similer under the stock cooler.
Luckily there are 4x free sata sockets, and two free drive bays for some new spinning disks to put my data on.
Funny really, it was you who created all my pc parranoia and sent me down this new rabbit hole.

My aim is to keep my private stuff away from the internet, not so sure why i'd need vm's on a file server so maybe you could enlighten me here.

The file server will hopefully quietly purr nicely under my wireless printer which i will only access through a non internet connected lan from what is my gaming/securer web browsing vm PC. Which you know all about!

So yeah, perhaps you could tell me why vm's and give me a few pointers on securing my data collection.

On Aug 20, 2013 9:19 PM, "bad apple" <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 20/08/13 20:46, Daniel Robinson wrote:
> This has all become far too complicated! Â- Shall I just burn a disk and be
> done with it!

No! You'll learn nothing that way!

Write a USB installer (what does "burn a disk" mean these days? Some
kind of obsolete practice from last decade?) and get your favourite
Debian or whatever running on it, along with a full virtualization
platform of two of your choosing (KVM and VirtualBox I'd imagine).

Make sure to flash the BIOS fully up to date and check all the firmware
revs, even on your network card and disks, etc and 'burn it in', fully
maxed out for 6+ hours. After that, it's ready for service.

Providing it's up to the job of running a VM or two, then just carry on
as before, but try setting up your new install server as a VM instead.
You can test if it works on either yet another VM from any host on your
network, or any of the physical machines you've got that can PXE boot.
My boot/install server here is an Ubuntu Server LTS instance running on
KVM by they way. Works like a champ for booting physical or virtual
boxes on the same LAN.

Of my links, just read this one: it's pretty concise and on first
glance, looks like exactly what I'd do.

http://funwithlinux.net/2013/01/debian-wheezy-pxe-server/

It's not rocket science, but PXE booting is pretty in-depth - expect a
couple of mistakes initially while you get it all smoothed out.

Regards