Re: [LUG] Completely lock down on virtual consoles on supend

I sometimes still work on console, admittedly this is usually X is broke, or I'm
doing something which will break X, or just might break X.

I think vlock aims to address this issue.

Physical access to system console is pretty hard to secure fully as there are a few
tricks, for example SysRq, which will defeat naive attempts (assuming the power
button is not to hand).

See also "Inception" and the trouble an interface that allows DMA can cause. But
Inceptions authors assume disk encryption as otherwise reboot and you are root.

Something like bash TMOUT might help, but if security really matters you probably
want to take more extreme measures. One place I worked you locked the hard drives
away in a safe when you left your machine, well for a certain group of users. Of
course you still check the machine for tampering before reinserting, but it avoids
the data disappearing overnight.