Re: [LUG] Net install (first timer)

Hey Paul

I would really like to come along to the next exeter lug meet, without giving too much of my private life away I still havent made any friends here in Exeter and being so lonely sucks!!!
Installing via PXE is as thrilling as my evenings get at the moment.

That aside my new job will allow me to be home in time to make it along and now i know where the meetings are held i can even get myself there. :-)

The PC in question is small enough to carry unlike the last.

When is the next meeting?

kind regards

Daniel

On Aug 20, 2013 9:04 PM, "Paul Sutton" <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 20/08/13 20:46, Daniel Robinson wrote:
> This has all become far too complicated! Â- Shall I just burn a disk
> and be done with it!
>

> On 20 August 2013 20:36, bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx
> <mailto:mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
> Â Â On 20/08/13 19:26, Simon Avery wrote:
> Â Â >> I managed to find a rather nice looking PC, Tied it to my
> Â Â bicycle with 3m
> Â Â >> Network Cables and cycled it home. =)
> Â Â >>
> Â Â > That's a very pleasing image you paint. Steptoe with pedals.
> Â Â Love it.
> Â Â >
> Â Â >
> Â Â >> Always the type of person who likes to try something new, I was
> Â Â wondering
> Â Â >> if it is possible to install Linux on to a remote machine. By
> Â Â remote I mean
> Â Â >> another computer on my LAN. And if it is possible what sort of
> Â Â things do I
> Â Â >> need to do to achieve this?
> Â Â >>
> Â Â > You can't install an os onto a remote machine you have no
> Â Â physical access
> Â Â > to; at least a bare metal box that you haven't previous
> Â Â configured to
> Â Â > network boot, and even then tricksy. ÂAnd really, it's just as
> Â Â well. Or
> Â Â > somebody on your lan might decide to install an os over your
> Â Â existing
> Â Â > install while you're off for lunch.
> Â Â >
> Â Â > If you do have physical access, then it's cd, usb or pxe to
> Â Â install an os.
> Â Â > BA gives more info about the latter. ÂIf it's a VM, then your
> Â Â hypervisor
> Â Â > will possibly have a remote console that'll allow you to do what
> Â Â you need.
> Â Â >
> Â Â >
> Â Â >> This lovely little PC will be my future file server so any tips
> Â Â on Distro
> Â Â >> choices would be great but I fear I will lean towards Debian...
> Â Â again...
> Â Â >>
> Â Â > I'd probably use debian too. But Freenas might be worth a twirl,
> Â Â I know
> Â Â > some folk who like it for just acting as a nas. (Although some
> Â Â tend to add
> Â Â > so many plugins they might as well have installed debian in the
> Â Â first place)
>

> Â Â There is a (big) exception to the no-physical-access gotcha,
> Â Â although it
> Â Â won't effect you in any way Daniel unless you're a *much* stronger
> Â Â cyclist than you're letting on: most servers these days have an
> Â Â out-of-band management interface, typically called an IPMI* in
> Â Â Intel-compatible land. Big-ass RISC boxes from IBM/Oracle/HP etc have
> Â Â similar arrangements using SPs (service processors, etc). These
> [...]
Maybe you can make it to the next Exeter LUG meet, and we can have a go
at an installation then.

Paul

http://www.zleap.net

Software freedom day event - 21st September 2013 Â- http://exeter.lug.org.uk/

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.