Re: [LUG] Downloading Iplayer

On 08/08/13 19:01, bad apple wrote:

Do you have a smart TV? You might be able to use a tool like UMS
(another gent was trying to get it working on this list a couple of days
ago) or another media streaming server to recognise your TV as a
targettable renderer and just fling your content around your devices
over the network. Plugging in a HDMI cable is definitely a lot easier,
to be fair.

No, I don't have any such luxury!

And yes, iPlayer is very capricious - just like the iPlayer webservice,
get_iplayer is entirely dependent on other factors such as network
congestion, etc. I used to use it all the time, but as the months have
gone by I generally find it just as easy to go to the BBC site and watch
in firefox. get_iplayer is most useful if you want to archive something.

Regards

I do normally watch iplayer on my computer via Firefox. However every program is eventually removed from the list so I was indeed thinking of archiving in the sense of being able to watch a program after it was no longer available on the BBC web site. Sometimes I leave 'catch-up' too long.

I also wish to check out how to use the HDMI thingy. It is available on my TV set but my new laptop is the first for me which has the relevant port.

Still learning

Neil