Re: [LUG] Downloading Iplayer

On 08/08/13 18:18, Neil wrote:
> Thanks. This morning when I tested it out it was very slow, like 5
> mins to download 1%. There must have been something going on
> somewhere. Anyway I have just tried again and it all downloaded very
> quickly. I can now watch it on my laptop via my HD. Now I have to
> figure out how to get it to play on our TV set.
>
> Yes, the laptop does have an HDMI out port and the TV does accept HDMI
> input. First I have to get a cable. All part of the learning process!!
>
> Neil

Do you have a smart TV? You might be able to use a tool like UMS
(another gent was trying to get it working on this list a couple of days
ago) or another media streaming server to recognise your TV as a
targettable renderer and just fling your content around your devices
over the network. Plugging in a HDMI cable is definitely a lot easier,
to be fair.

And yes, iPlayer is very capricious - just like the iPlayer webservice,
get_iplayer is entirely dependent on other factors such as network
congestion, etc. I used to use it all the time, but as the months have
gone by I generally find it just as easy to go to the BBC site and watch
in firefox. get_iplayer is most useful if you want to archive something.

Regards