Re: [LUG] Banking trojan targeting Linux

On Thu, 8 Aug 2013, Simon Avery wrote:
Running either Windows or Linux in a VM is not inherently more secure than running it on your main machine. I suppose you might argue that you have less software installed so
it's more secure, but that could be counter-argued with "one more system to keep up to date" - or rather, "One more system to forget to keep up to date"

Of course, running something inside a VM isn't more secure*. What would be more secure, and what I believe was being referred to, is setting up your OS once, taking a snapshot and then using that snapshot every time for online banking. Unless you managed to get yourself infected before you took the snapshot of course, but that's quite unlikely.

I hadn't considered that. It makes sense, although perhaps a little more work than I would find acceptable.