Re: [LUG] sky force MS to rename skydrive

On 02/08/13 12:22, Martijn Grooten wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Aug 2013, Paul Sutton wrote:
>> Just think how much money could be spent on R&D if they stopped all this
>> trademark of every day words,  not to mention the billions spent on
>> software patent litigation.  I am saying billions as there does seem to
>> be a lot of money involved in all this.
>
> Patents are a right mess and a waste of time and resources, most
> people will agree with you on that.
>
> But trademarks are another thing. I think the fact that trademarks
> exist makes sense and I am not aware of a huge money-wasting industry
> behind them - although I'm sure there's the odd lawsuit merely filed
> because someone things they can make the sued company pay a lot of
> money, if only in a settlement.
>
>> From Wikipedia:
>
> "Infringement may occur when one party, the "infringer", uses a
> trademark which is identical or confusingly similar to a trademark
> owned by another party, in relation to products or services which are
> identical or similar to the products or services which the
> registration covers."
>
> Note the "idential or similar to the products".
>
> There's a thing call Ubuntu Cola:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Cola
>
> It is unrelated to the Operating System and produces a completely
> unrelated product, under a different philosphy. So there's no problem.
> But if you set up a software company called Ubuntu, you'll likely run
> into legal trouble.
>
> Martijn.

I see your point on that.

Paul

http://www.zleap.net

Software freedom day event - 21st September 2013  - http://exeter.lug.org.uk/

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.