Re: [LUG] sky force MS to rename skydrive

Protection of trademarks is a major source of waste, and efforts by both the police, trading standards and other agencies. I had regular contact with people who were in one are's trading standards where a considerable part of their resoursorces were devoted to dealing with people selling "fake clothing", what they often found is that the fake clothing was often originating from the same chinese factories that were making the "genuine" article and that quality-wise the fakes were every bit as good as the "real" article and were in fact the same articles with a "fake" label, the only difference was that the designer label had apparently not received theit extortionate mark up. One of the people I had contact with said that there was also a feeling that a lot of the fake products were being released with the collusion of the designer names to help enhance desire for the "real" products that had the "real" label.

Back in a world where the said label actually makes the product there is a strong argument for trademark protection but in this world where they are simply placing a label on some product make cheaply elsewhere the arguments are not really valid.

From: Martijn Grooten <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, 2 August 2013, 12:22
Subject: Re: [LUG] sky force MS to rename skydrive

But trademarks are another thing. I think the fact that trademarks exist
makes sense and I am not aware of a huge money-wasting industry behind
them - although I'm sure there's the odd lawsuit merely filed because
someone things they can make the sued company pay a lot of money, if only
in a settlement.

From Wikipedia: