Re: [LUG] Archlinux on the RPI and the PI camera

On Thu, 01 Aug 2013 12:32:24 +0100, tom
<tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On 01/08/13 11:57, Paul Sutton wrote:
>> On 01/08/13 10:10, lug@xxxxxx wrote:

>>> I am interested in doing something similar as I have one of the
>>> original y-cams that only works properly with IE and have been
>>> thinking about replacing it for ages. One thing that is very good
>>> about the y-cam is reliability, it basically just keeps working.
>>>
>>> Last year I bought a couple of the cheap foscam clones off of ebay
>>> but they just weren't reliable enough, requiring constant resets
>>> and I ended up returning them. My experience is that a lot of these
>>> cheapo cameras have zero support often just a forum where users can
>>> complain about problems but no-one has any answers.
>>>
>>> I was thinking about going the Pi + PiCam route not to save money
>>> but just so that if something is wrong I have a reasonable chance
>>> of being able to fix it myself. Plus I also fancy hooking it up to
>>> the doorbell and fire alarm, etc. to send alerts and do some other
>>> stuff which would be hard/expensive to do with the commercial
>>> solutions.
>>>
>>> Kevin
>>>
>> As if by some weird coincidence,  todays posting on the Pi website is
>> about the camera board documentation
>>
>> http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/4483
>>
>> May be useful
>>
>> Paul
>>
>I havent actually tried a USB camera on my Pi but my £10 one worked
>fine on an 800Mhz PC - always thought the Pi one was a bit of a
>sidetrack. Tom te tom te tom

I think that generally USB webcams take too much CPU on the Pi to be
reliable and also allow enough cycles for anything else to run whereas
the dedicated Pi Camera uses very little CPU being on its own bus.

Kevin