Re: [LUG] auto starting services

On 27/07/13 19:57, Neil Stone wrote:

 > This is beyond basic... this is admin 101. Either use update-rc.d or add
 > an autostart entry.
 >
 > If you actually google this, there are thousands of hits all providing
 > brain-dead copy+paste examples, apparently mostly culled from the same
 > place as they are largely identical.
 >
 > *rolls eyes*
 >
 > Regards

Alas not everyone that uses Linux based operating systems actually has
much of a clue these days on how to use google or their system. You will
not win and friends nor influence anyone if you decide to point this out.

I have thought for some time that there is some scope for another
mailing list, one for novice type topics and one for the more advanced.

Thoughts?

Google?  Pah all the smart people use Bing :-)

Seriously though, I'm not so sure another mailing list would be such a great idea, I mean not everyone is likely to subscribe to it if it's just answering newbie questions, personally I'd say it's better in here as someone is more than likely to respond (I did actually to the Exeter LUG list where Paul also asked the same question).

I do find sometimes though it might not be a case of just googling it, but knowing what search terms to look for, maybe some of the more knowledgable folks on here could help with giving clues what to look for.

As I mentioned on the Exeter LUG list, in this case if I was going to do it the first thing I'd think of was xinitrc, as it happens the Debian documentation (here http://wiki.debian.org/Xinitrc) suggests putting it in ~/.xsession

I'd also suggest if you don't need to see the whole desktop, maybe look at X forwarding too, on Windows XMing does a great job of displaying applications running on a Linux box in X.

Rob