Re: [LUG] Laptops - and the battery

Hi Neil,

Here goes with my twopennyworth.
I used to work
for Lucent Techologies, researching the optimum ways
of
charging and discharging batteries.

Yes you could leave
the laptop on permanent mains power, but the
battery will
eventually 'forget' that it is a battery, and becomes

simply a (large?) capacitor across the power supply.

Alternatively, you could fully charge-cycle the battery,
only
re-charging it when you get the four minute warning.
When you
do charge it, leave the charge on for overnight
or thereabouts,
then re-commence the discharge cycle.

Modern lithium-ion batteries are much better in terms of
charge
memory effect. It's nothing like the problem that
is was with
Ni-Cad batteries. If you go down the charge-
cycling route, be
pleasantly surprised if you get more
than 1000 charge cycles.

Although it's unlikely to be a
problem in an indoor environment,
you should be aware that
at -10C a lithium-ion battery has about
half its capacity,
and at -20C, forget it. However they do recover
when
warmed beck to room temperature.

Hope that this helps.

Regards etc,
Ray Knowles.

<list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subj: [LUG] Laptops - and the battery

>I have used computers for many years, almost always with
desktops. A
>while ago I was given an old laptop as a
gift, so it was my first
>practice with them. (I use my
laptop as a standby machine, and it
>normally stays in one
place. It certainly never leaves the house.)

>As the
machine was already several years old the battery was
pretty
>useless, so I always had the machine running from
the mains. Recently it
>(the laptop) died on me and I have
now replaced it with a brand new one.

>Now there is also
a brand new battery and I have been researching how to

>look after it best, with conflicting results. So, can
anyone on the list
>advise me please? Would it cause any
problems to run this new laptop
>always from the mains?
This would mean that the battery was always on
>charge and
always fully charged up, but never really being used. Is
that
>a bad idea?
>
>Perhaps it would be better to run
from the battery and to recharge as