Re: [LUG] Laptops - and the battery

On 24/07/13 09:04, raymond.knowles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Neil,

Here goes with my twopennyworth.
I used to work
for Lucent Techologies, researching the optimum ways
of
charging and discharging batteries.

Yes you could leave
the laptop on permanent mains power, but the
battery will
eventually 'forget' that it is a battery, and becomes

simply a (large?) capacitor across the power supply.

Alternatively, you could fully charge-cycle the battery,
only
re-charging it when you get the four minute warning.
When you
do charge it, leave the charge on for overnight
or thereabouts,
then re-commence the discharge cycle.

Modern lithium-ion batteries are much better in terms of
charge
memory effect. It's nothing like the problem that
is was with
Ni-Cad batteries. If you go down the charge-
cycling route, be
pleasantly surprised if you get more
than 1000 charge cycles.

Thanks for the info. I have now checked (should have done that before, but I am not used to laptops), and the battery is shown as -

6 cells Smart Lithium-Ion pack, 48.84 WH.

so it should be OK in terms of charge, as you said. However it is not going to last more than 1000 charges you say.

Too low a temperature should not be a problem as it will be kept indoors all the time.

Thanks,

Neil