Re: [LUG] Rsync - was NTFS drive unmountable

On 20/07/13 10:19, tom wrote:
> On 20/07/13 09:50, Simon Waters wrote:
>> Crystal ball broken.
>>
>> What failure? What symptoms?
>>
>> What do you regard as a large file?
>>
>> Anything less than 2^31-1 bytes is small to most computers, although
>> you may want to allow leeway for overheads depending how you handle
>> it. Most Linux boxes and commands now relaxed about larger files.
>>
>> Regards Rsync a quick google shows someone having performance
>> problems with files in the 100GB range. Does this count as large for
>> you?
> I cant remember off the top of my head but its specifically an SMB/CIF
> problem that is a known error but Ubuntu don’t seem to be fixing it.
> It just locks up mid transfer - if you copy a single file it seems to
> be fine but will stop in the middle of a directory tree. I was hoping
> someone may be familiar with it and know of a workaround.
> Tom te tom te tom

I'm interested in this too - I deal with some pretty large files
regularly, including rsync and SMB/NFS, but don't think I've hit this
bug before.

Tellingly, the really heavy duty stuff is enterprise customers, and
they're inevitably using RedHat, SuSE or CentOS 99% of the time. Ubuntu
boxes aren't allowed anywhere near production on my watch. It would not
surprise me one little bit if Ubuntu had somehow broken something by
accident though.

So yeah, any more details would be appreciated and I can even test for
it: I have a SAN in the garage and a directory full of 1Tb images of a
certain clumsy DJ's broken hard drives that I can throw back and forth
to see if anything falls over :]

Regards