Re: [LUG] Microsoft die die die

On 20/07/13 14:53, Matt Lee wrote:
> In many ways its worse: at least a Windows PC can run cygwin, Firefox,
> LibreOffice, Emacs, etc.
>
> iOS prohibits much free software, relies upon Apple turning a blind eye on
> the few GPL programs in their store.
>
> OS X now favors software from its own store, and will eventually make it
> hard for casual users to run free software.
>
> Apple hate GPLv3. Don't forget that.

The feeling is more than mutual!

Witness the strange saga of VLC and the appstore: it's back on there
now, but only because the dev's dual licensed it to GPL/MPL.

What really surprised me was the general vitriol aimed at the VLC guys
when they initially demanded it was pulled from the Apple store: talk
about aiming at the wrong target.

I'm not a big fan of Microsoft (the company: some of their products are
quite good however) but Apple get nothing from me but raw, naked, utter
contempt. My iPhone was a freebie but I actually paid them good money
for the girlfriend's MacBook Pro, and I still feel a bit dirty. I'm in
the market for a new laptop myself currently, and a retina MacBook is
exactly what I want but I'll be damned if I'm going to buy one. Luckily
Samsung and a couple of others have stepped up with these stupidly
labelled "ultrabooks" so I can give them my hard earned £££ instead.

Actually, I guess my user name here pretty much sums up how I feel about
Cupertino's 'finest'. Useless ***********.

Regards