Re: [LUG] Your ISP - and IPv6

On 06/07/2013 bad apple wrote:
Hope I'm not muscling in here.

i think you're in the clear, far as i can tell.  just keep it clean,
sailor.

If I may, I'd like to draw an analogy with the x86 instruction set:
there is so much legacy cruft and completely wrong-headed rubbish
still included in there for the undying zombie of backwards
compatibility it's insane.

curious for examples, too lazy to start new thread.  will have to look
into it.

but yeah, point taken. backward compatibility is not free.  check.

For some reason, the IPv4 upgrade path didn't follow the same
thought process - IPv6 could have just included as a subset all of
the native IPv4 functionality and address spaces but chose to chuck
the baby out with the bathwater instead.

discarding wet babies, also not free.  check.

Why two different approaches to absolute critical technology? Who
knows.  Both approaches were stupid and are costing time, money and
efficiency on a global scale right now.

behold the glory of the flathead empire.

I'd like to think I would have done things differently, but you know
how design by committee tends to work out - it's not like I would
ever have been given (or even deserved) the right to unilaterally
control this kind of stuff myself anyway.

pfft, deserve.  what a concept!

i am curious, though, what power relations hold among the institutions
that *do* determine its course of development, however multilaterally.
(eg, the ietf is an instrument.  so, whose instrument?)

I'm way too lazy to bother digging up "pertinent references"

i should have added "which happen to come to mind".  search terms
do count, though.

""[...] Some researchers wanted a 128-bit space for the binary
address," Cerf (recalled) [...it was an experiment, etc]"

Of course, that only explains why he regrets not bomb-proofing IPv4
in the first place, not why the people responsible for IPv6 didn't
think this through a bit more thoroughly as you asked for, [...]

interesting nonetheless.  i'll keep looking into it.  til i get
distracted.

Judging by your email address, you're in a major American .edu:
you've got IPv6 onsite there surely?

i wouldn't know much about its network outside of the linguistics
department's gracious hosts, but the server i use most does not appear
to know about IPv6.  no loops of zen for me.  maybe i should check out
some other machines.

would i see inet6 somewhere in /etc/network/interfaces if it did?

You've also got internet2 hook ups I would have thought. Lucky
fellow.

what, this thing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet2#Objectives
Internet2 provides the U.S. research and education community with a
network that satisfies their bandwidth-intensive requirements. The
network itself is a dynamic, robust and cost-effective hybrid
optical and packet network. It furnishes a 100 Gbit/s network
backbone to more than 210 U.S. educational institutions, 70
corporations and 45 non-profit and government agencies.

first i've heard of it.

cheers.

-wes

On 06/07/2013 bad apple wrote:
On 06/07/13 01:17, davidson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> right.  the IPv6 bestowed upon us does not extend IPv4, as it happens.
>
> and so i wonder, assuming there were practical considerations for this
> decision, what were they?  what made it so impractical to define a
> correspondence between IPv4 and some subset of IPv6, given that such a
> correspondence would have greatly facilitated the adoption of IPv6?
>
> pertinent references appreciated.
>
> -wes

Hope I'm not muscling in here.
[rest snipped]