Re: [LUG] Etiquette was Re: Swearing

 On 30/06/2013 12:11, Simon Waters wrote:
The list has an Etiquette guide.

http://www.dcglug.org.uk/email-etiquette

Where we advise against swearing and top posting.

It claims to be submitted by me, but I believe Neil Williams was the
original author, I just copied it from where it lived before.

I've not seen anything in recent discussions to make me think the
guidance there is incorrect, or out of date.

That swearing is off putting to some members is reason enough not to do it.

Regards top posting - those who have used forums where people are
careful with the quoting will appreciate what a relief it is when
messages are well formatted and clearly express the points to be made.
Proper quoting and trimming also greatly improves the readability and
usability of the archive.

We are probably all guilty of violating some of the guidelines some of
the time, computing can often be a frustrating business, time is
sometimes short, but if we all strive to do as well as we can and
remember the messages are sent to a lot of people and are archived
publicly, things will be fine (at least till the next big asteroid impact).

  Simon

I do recall some years ago the issue of swearing was raised (I think I was probably guilty myself) and at the time the point was made that the list is archived and it necessitates removal of the swearing in the archive - in fact I've just read the link Simon and I see that is still the case - the archive that is. I do agree as well everyone on the list is eloquent enough to make their points without swearing. Vis-a-vis top posting; in personal emails I tend to follow the direction the conversation has started, as long as it all flows the same way it's not a problem for me. However on mailing lists I do try to avoid top posting as it's naturally alien (to me at least) to read from the bottom up.

Julian