Re: [LUG] Yahoo spam article

>What the hell are you going on about, Brad?

Most people would describe it as pedantry on my part....

Yep!

I accept all your reasons, but not the conclusion.

non-equivalence, many people don't seem to get it.  One difference is
that gmail doesn't return list mails to the sender as one would expect
with email.  That alone is enough.

That's just rule-based behavior. Probably every mail client does something different to its neighbour, otherwise there would be no point having more than one. Vive la difference!

I don't think of gmail as a client, but as a system of communication.
Like email is, or usenet.  Each has their own protocol(s) which may, or
may not, allow for some interoperability.

And that is email. Anything that allows a user to use a protocol or system is a client.

I'm using gmail's web interface right now, and it sure looks like a mail client to me. I also use gmail as an imap base, and a spam filtering service, and a whole lot of other stuff. I'm on some extremely high volume mailing lists and with some basic filtering, it's all presented very manageably. That sounds like a mail client to me, matey!  The fact that it comes for free, with effectively limitless space, makes life easy. I don't need to micro-manage my personal email like I do work's.

To say gmail isn't an email client is like saying water isn't wet. You could probably pull some statistics and worthy research out of the hat to prove your case, but the rest of the world will be tutting and making circular motions around their ear...