Re: [LUG] Yahoo spam article

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 17:42:41 +0100
Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Simon,

>What the hell are you going on about, Brad?

Most people would describe it as pedantry on my part....

Differences between the way email works and gmail works.  There are
large areas of overlap of course, but it only takes one thing to
destroy the 1:1 relationship.  As any mathematician will tell you, if
there's even one difference, the two things cannot be regarded as the
same.  Sounds obvious, but when it comes to the email-gmail
non-equivalence, many people don't seem to get it.  One difference is
that gmail doesn't return list mails to the sender as one would expect
with email.  That alone is enough.

Even after all the years that google have been running gmail,
people /still/ send messages to mailing lists, complaining they aren't
receiving copies of their own messages.

>(No other mail client, whether webmail or local, is "email" either. But
>it provides a mechanism for using it.)

I don't think of gmail as a client, but as a system of communication.
Like email is, or usenet.  Each has their own protocol(s) which may, or
may not, allow for some interoperability.

--
 Regards  _
I'd hate to look into those eyes and see an ounce of pain