Re: [LUG] OT surveillance

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:37:41 +0100
Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Paul,

>Then when you have MP's who think google is the Internet and can just
>block porn with a switch is it any wonder,  when it comes to child porn

There's a story, how true it is IDK, that various organisations tried
to shut down the known porn usenet groups.  Suddenly, a new group
appeared called alt.disney.  It seemed innocuous enough until you looked
at it.  The point being that, quite often, the more you try to suppress
something the less success you have in controlling it.  The Americans
found this out with Prohibition.  Sometimes, it's better to keep things
in the open.  That way, you know where they are, and can avoid them if
you prefer.

>especially surely we should be stopping the abuse (see above) as
>blocking it does not stop people abusing.

Of course we should.  The trouble is, until an abuse is committed, there
is absolutely no way whatsoever to detect an abuser.  Quite often, not
even then.  Or at least, not until it's much too late:  Myra Hindley &
Ian Brady; Fred & Rose West......

--
 Regards  _
If a thought came in your head it would die of loneliness