Re: [LUG] Debian and sound

On 24/06/13 16:57, tom wrote:

> One thing I like is sort of unit testing - the ability to run simple
> tests that tell you if something is actually working or not. The linux
> sound systems desperately need something like that.

I fear it may be too many units, not that each isn't tested.

Currently the only thing not working reliably for my sound is the
speaker test in GNOME classic.....

I suspect it all needs drastic simplification, and to stop trying to
support all sorts of weird legacy interfaces, but that means breaking
all sorts of legacy applications.

The normal reason for no sound in Debian is the volume is zero.

But it is horrid, and it doesn't hotswap USB sound devices in Wheezy
terribly well either. That said these days you have the sound card in
when you boot (or built in), most of the time it "just works" (as long
as you make sure the appropriate device is selected and remember to turn
the volume up).

Then again one of the custom Android installs you can get doesn't zero
the volume, and breaks the speakers on some phones. Sometimes "zero" is
the safest volume....

http://wiki.debian.org/SoundFAQ