Re: [LUG] Debian and sound

On 24/06/13 11:02, Tony Sumner wrote:
> About a year ago I had a problem with sound after installing Debian Squeeze,
> is there was none. I asked around, both here and elsewhere and got heaps
> of advice about checking this and that but nothing helped. Sound worked
> fine in the previous distro which was Lenny and of course IWIW. Then I saw
> this note:
>
>   Postby hasheesh786 » 2012-07-30 20:46
>   I ended up installing wheezy, which solved 3 or 4 of my hardware
>   problems :) so ill just chalk this problem up to having hardware thats
>   a little too up-to-date for squeeze.
>
> My hardware is hardly too new but I installed Wheezy on a spare partition
> and sure enough alsa recognized the card and everything seemed ok execpt
> that no sound actually came out of the speakers. So I gave up on sound
> until last week when I had to re-install Windows and since Windows grabs
> the MBR I installed another OS on a spare partition so that I could run
> grub in the usual way. I had a disc from Linux Format magazine with Mint 11
> on it so I installed that. And guess what sound works straight away in Mint
> without my doing anything. Welcome back, Miles.
>
> I don't have a question and I am not asking for anything but I thought
> it might be helpful to report what I have found.
>
> Tony

Big kernel and other subsystem changes between Squeeze and Wheezy: of
course, that doesn't do much towards explaining exactly *why* you had
that problem and as it now works for you anyway, we're obviously not
going to get to the bottom of it either.

Sometimes weird and annoying shit just happens. I started off my day by
removing 1 of the 2 x 1Tb drives temporarily in my i5 workstation for
data recovery from a failed windows fake raid 0 array. At which point,
it stopped outputting any video signal whatsoever to the 24" DFP monitor
sat next to it - no EFI prompt, no windows or linux boot screen,
nothing. Plugging in the ancient 17" CRT next to it resulted in a
perfectly working system. WTF? I ended up reseating all my power cables,
switched the TV card back to the original PCI slot (it had been
temporarily moved up one to make space for all the extra disks), plugged
my DFP back in and pressed go. Worked first time and I'm typing this on
it now.

The reason? I have absolutely *no* idea. Sometimes you've just got to
accept the madness and take a win as a win. I really hate computers
sometimes...

Regards

PS: what sound hardware have  you got on your rig anyway, out of
curiousity? Surely it's just a bog standard Realtek integrated job? They
normally (i.e., always) work straight out of the box.