Re: [LUG] Debian and sound

On Mon, 2013-06-24 at 16:48 +0100, Philip Hudson wrote:
> On 24 Jun, 2013, at 4:26 pm, bad apple wrote:
>
> > The reason? I have absolutely *no* idea. Sometimes you've just got to
> > accept the madness and take a win as a win.
>
> Me too. Inexplicable success always scares and disturbs me for a long
> time, *much* more than inexplicable failure.
>
> OTOH, when you suddenly get that "zap!" of enlightenment, when *the*
> explanation finally does occur to you, while you're cooking or
> showering or something, well that's great.
>
> --
> Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
> @UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63

My experience with different flavors of Linux and sound is
1 is the system using Pluse? and have you upped the volume? All 4
sliders are at 50% volume on mine Front L/R Rear L/R
2 have you a Digital out? or a Digital speaker as analogue on these wont
work
3 have you 4.1 or 5.2 8.whatever  surround sound setting and is it all
plugged in? I just use a headset for sound but on the Front Speaker, (my
setup has a sound mapping to either front or rear using a profile of
Analogue Surround Sound + Analogue input. The recording is set
differently depending on Mic or Line in (again both analogue)
So set Pluse first then set system sounds. I use the VU meters on each
utility so show if any sound is being sensed, then muck about with the
patching until some eventually come out the other end! So dont mix
Digital with analogue in Pluse and system sound, and select the best
combination of hardware profile to mixer settings to give a reasonable
output. My Alsa Mixer app just looks at Pulse for its input. Also pulse
detects all the Sound capable devices so just check its not just looking
at a DVB-t card or Webcam! for it's sound hardware.

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)
A dedicated Linux user