Re: [LUG] Free software: great power

On 19/06/13 21:33, Paul Sutton wrote:
> On 19/06/13 15:21, Philip Hudson wrote:
>> Teh positive:
>>
>> Let's hear it, folks. Whether you realize it or not, by joining this
>> list you declare yourself part of the team. What have you done for
>> software freedom lately? Say the last six months. I think it would be
>> excellent for us each to submit a bi-yearly digest, not as a
>> dick-waving contest but in the hope and expectation of getting some
>> plaudits and encouragement from our peers.
>>
>> --- cut here ---
>>
>> I have:
>>
>> [ ] Submitted bugs
>> [ ] Submitted feature requests
>> [ ] Submitted patches
>> [ ] Posted/modified source code on github/launchpad/sourceforge/...
>> [ ] Added/improved localization text
>> [ ] Added/improved documentation
>> [ ] Added/improved tests
>> [ ] Added/improved
>> text/content/media/music/graphics/photos/maps/sounds/themes
>> [ ] Helped a project with website admin and maintenance
>> [ ] Helped a project with database admin
>> [ ] Helped a project with QA
>> [ ] Helped with project admin
>> [ ] Helped a project with design/architecture
>> [ ] Submitted/maintained packages to/on a free software repo
>> [ ] Blogged, tweeted, or posted answers/discoveries somewhere
>> web-searchable
>> [ ] Published under Creative Commons
>> [ ] Paid for software authors' time
>> [ ] Paid for software creators'
>> services/hosting/support/training/consulting/manuals...
>> [ ] Paid for dual-licensed free software
>> [ ] Donated to the FSF
>> [ ] Added data to OpenStreetMap
>> [ ] Edited WikiPedia or similar
>> [ ] Donated legal services to a project
>> [ ] Donated accounting services to a project
>> [ ] Donated other professional services to a project
>> [ ] Hosted a free software repo mirror
>> [ ] Donated hardware to a project
>> [ ] Volunteered to make the tea and sweep up for a project
>> [ ] Migrated users from non-free to free solutions
>> [ ] Other: Hugged one of my favorite Emacs author/evangelists.
>>
>> [ ] I want to tell someone more about how I did one or more of these
>> things.
>>
>> --- cut here ---
>>

>> If you can't check a single checkbox right now, then please try to be
>> able to before the end of today.
>>
>> Let's all train ourselves to stop saying or thinking "I *use* free
>> software", substituting "I *use and create* free software". With great
>> power comes great fun.
>>

>> LUG webmins: maybe this could be the basis for a "How can I help" FAQ?
>>

>> Here's my report:
>>
>> --- cut here ---
>>
>> I have:
>>
>> [ ] Submitted bugs
>> [ ] Submitted feature requests
>> [x] Submitted patches
>> [x] Posted/modified source code on github/launchpad/sourceforge/...
>> [ ] Added/improved localization text
>> [ ] Added/improved documentation
>> [ ] Added/improved tests
>> [ ] Added/improved
> [...]
I have just updated the get involved page on the new lug website to
include this list on how to get involved with free software :

http://dcglug.drogon.net/get-involved/

Paul

http://www.zleap.net

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.