Re: [LUG] Hotel Logging in Management

On 14 June 2013 09:01, Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jun 2013, Mark Evans wrote:

Not everyone setting up such a system will be using Linux or doing
things purely as a TCP port 80 MitM.

I don't care about them - I'm just reporting my experiences building and running one such system in recent years - and that's how I'd do it again.

The target URL needs to be one where the browser will attempt to make a
connection to TCP port 80, through the wireless interface.

Yes.

Punter: "I can't get the Internet"
Train Manager: "Connect to xc-wifi and Visit google or bbc news"
Punter: "Ah right, there's the login screen"
followed by: "Oh that's easy, there's google, I'm in"

And that's what worked. I ran this one one train for 18 months. Commercial confidentiality prevents me saying how successfull it was however running out of DCHP leases on the initial LAN range we used in a 24-hour period was a problem when we moved it out of first class and over the whole train.

Gordon

That many users going over two 3G connections? Doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Grant.