Re: [LUG] Hotel Logging in Management

On 10/06/13 14:02, Patrick Kimber wrote:
> I met Kevin, who runs http://www.devontelephoneengineer.co.uk/ a
> couple of days ago.  I would say definitely worth giving him a call...
>
> On 10 June 2013 13:36, Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Guys
>>
>> A local hotel is asking me whether I know of any software that will manage a
>> hotel wifi. Essentially they want to issue users with a code that when
>> inserted allowed the user to use the system. They want to be able to produce
>> different codes to enable a charging system for non-hotel residents. Does
>> anyone know of such a system please?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Rich
>>

>> --

You mean something like this

http://www.wifi-soft.com/

I would guess you can do the same thing with a raspberry PI,  if you get
a wifi dongle thing,  and hook it up with cat 5,  then all traffic will
go via a web interface

so

wireless  -- web password -- wired -- internet

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8596

someone has done something similar worth reading, as pointed out people
may use it to stream or view unsavory material,  so you need to
safeguard against this,

alternative solution to not charging is to have advertising every other
page for people who come in and try and use for free.  If I buy drinks
at the bar then please treat these guests as residents and allow
internet access,  that way if I stay longer I may buy a 2nd or 3rd drink
(given the cost of soft drinks in hotels are a rip off anyway) its easy
money.

residents would get wifi for free and no advertising, every few pages

Paul

http://www.zleap.net

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.