Re: [LUG] DNSSEC, HSTS, and DHCP with Captive portals was Re: Hotel Logging in Management

On 13/06/13 23:15, bad apple wrote:

> Is the "radius stuff" you mention WISPr by any chance?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WISPr

No, UAM is essentially a method of doing what is done now for these things.

I was thinking of stuff done for modems, which is the other way around -
authenticate then allow DHCP.

We use to do UAM, authenticate users with Radius from wireless clients,
as a wireless ISP. Someone else did the FreeRadius install, but still
required a browser use for every reboot of the wireless client device.

> Think you're mostly right about the DHCP 'solution' probably being the
> way forward, but although I see mention of security measures like reply
> attack prevention in RFC3118 I'm still really struggling to think how
> authentication is going to work securely (properly, that is: I can see a
> hell of a lot of ways to royally screw it up). Even distributing certs
> in advance, as they're obviously going to have to do, is going to
> ultimately fall to the same issues which make vendor included SSL certs
> vulnerable/untrustworthy.

RFC3118 tries to solve a different problem. I suspect HotSpot operators
can be more relaxed about such things, not least currently they usually
rely on username and password in a form (often served with or after an
SSL error). Also re-authentication is a pain.

As such anything is likely to be better than the status quo from their
perspective. They are also largely not guarding the corporate network,
but protecting the loss of a few minutes of Internet access, so the
actual loss (rather than the opportunity cost), is probably
approximately Â0.00 to a first approximation. Although obviously if
abuse was widespread it might be an issue.

A DHCP solution probably needs a flexible way of specifying the method,
so that we can evolve it later, or even provide fall back when better
methods arrive, so that clients with older software can use the old
methods for a bit...

Also you don't necessarily have to distribute certs, UAM stuff typically
uses a centralized (hopefully redundant) RADIUS server for a lot of
access points. Similar an SSL welcome form could be hosted somewhere
else other than the router, and the message goes back to the router
(which has to be trusted by the Hotspot provider otherwise it is game
over for the vendor anyway).

The problem with UAM is that the client needs to know it is in effect
when it brings up the network, which typically mean receiving DHCP.
Poking out to find a given web page seems the wrong method.

You could probably use the existing infrastructure for UAM or other
services once the client knows it is in a captive portal, and it can
open an HTTPS to the right page, and if needed POST the credentials it
has been told it can share, immediately rather than waiting for the user
to use a browser (which happens less and less as we get mobile apps
which do a lot of what we've used browsers for on desktops).