Re: [LUG] Hotel Logging in Management

On 12/06/13 16:53, Martijn Grooten wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 4:40 PM, bad apple wrote:
>> Any half competent person can immediately
>> implement all the mangling, QOS, proxying, caching, rate limiting, site
>> filtering and even blocking of abusive customers that you'll ever need,
> But that would only cover the technical side of things. I'd say there
> are many practical (as well as ethical and legal) issues with offering
> Internet as well.
>
> Martijn.

I daresay you're right - that's not the sort of area I have to get
involved in luckily, I'm purely technical. To be fair, it is the most
important bit: legal and ethical considerations are completely moot
unless you actually have the cold, hard technical facilities established
in the first place. The technical implementation will also inform the
ethical/legal aspects as well - I'm thinking particularly the logging,
or lack thereof, and blocking of inappropriate sites (if applicable).

Come to think of it, would proving a customers age be an issue as well -
I guess that you would be entering at least briefly into a contract with
any internet users on your commercially provided wifi, and aren't
children below the age of 16 (?) technically unable to agree to such a
thing without parental intervention? Of course it's unlikely that a <16
year old would be at your hotel without their parents in the first place
but perhaps if the parents went out for an evening and a 15 year old
stayed behind in her room surfing on an iPad?

Hmm, what a headache. Glad I'm a sysadmin and not a lawyer...

Regards