Re: [LUG] Laptops with linux

On 09/06/13 15:44, Simon Robert -Cottage wrote:
On 09/06/13 12:13, Simon Avery wrote:
My palms are itching a bit at the phrase "turned up to install the internet", but apart from that, great to hear. Also enlightening after reading from many manufacturers that "We only ship computers pre-installed with Windows", including three of the four you mention there.

OK, sorry - turned up to drill a hole in the basement, run a cable up 4 floors, plug in a router and connect to the cable in the street.... 35mbs as opposed to 8 at home! And all for £12.50 a month

The linux installs may have been a Technopolis initiative as all the linux laptops had a Technopolis screensaver, while the windows 8 ones had that retro futuristic water tower/UFO traffic control centre thing. But I guess they're not buying in Windows 8 machines and then wiping the OS, so at the least they're acquiring OSless laptops I suppose.

Believe it or not, I think that's supposed to be the CN Tower in Toronto:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CN_Tower

No idea why they chose it to be the default win8 lock screen though.

Regards