Re: [LUG] GNUnet vs Freenet

On 09/06/13 15:33, Philip Hudson wrote:

> Anyone able to give us a compare-and-contrast on these two?
>
> https://gnunet.org/
>
> https://freenetproject.org/

Nope.

I ran a freenet node for a while, when I had more limited connectivity.

It was interesting, but the network was slow. I would say unreliable,
but if you persisted most files eventually downloaded.

There was a Usenet type interface (Frost) which worked reasonably well
till someone realized they could post messages to forums in bulk to make
them unusable if they wanted to.

There was a even a chess interface so you could play chess anonymously,
although playing chess publicly has never been a problem - perhaps if we
end up under a Taliban like regime...

It makes the point that if you are allowed to send encrypted data you
can exchange files in secure and anonymous fashion.

May become interesting if any network becomes mainstream and good enough
to be ubiquitous, and also supporting IM or even VOIP. There are a lot
of folk who don't want that to happen, not just the Chinese government.

But until the network routing improves performance on what it was when I
tried it, I doubt it will become popular. Freenet 0.7 may be better.