Re: [LUG] Side-scroller jumping mouse

Hey. Are you running 'unclutter' to hide the mouse pointer when it's idle? This will produce the behaviour you described (drove me mad for a while).

Philip Hudson <phil.hudson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I wonder if anyone recognizes this problem and knows a solution?

I installed "Secret Maryo Chronicles" ("smc" in the Debian repo) on
our kids' machine, an old Dell with just 512MB of RAM running Linux
Mint Debian Edition with Xfce4 on kernel 3.2.0-4 and an Athlon 64 CPU
(dual core at 2 GHz, second core showing as disabled in lshw WTF?).
The display is a very ordinary Philips LCD at 2880 * 1920 driven by a
Radeon Xpress 200G Series RS480 over a VGA cable.

The problem is this: in the game's splash screen and elsewhere, the
mouse pointer follows mouse movement briefly then jumps back to the
middle of the screen, making it nearly impossible to click on anything
except whatever is in the middle. I've found a hit-and-miss
workaround: pressing the left mouse button early and "dragging" to the
place I want to click before releasing the button, but the kids find
it difficult to copy.

Once you're into the game it's mostly keyboard-driven.

Is this a known problem with any particular game engine/library?
Should I just expect this kind of problem with a low-spec machine?

aptitude says:

Version: 1.9+git20120222-1+b1
It utilizes the platform independent library SDL and since Version
0.98 with the OpenGLi accelerated
Graphics Renderer developed in C++.

--
Phil Hudson http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz