Re: [LUG] Ubuntu is the future ???

I've been a Ubuntu user since 6.06 I made the switch from Windows to
Linux mainly cause I was bored with it and wanted a challenge, in the
early days running a Linux machine certainly was a challenge, roll
forward 7 years and Ubuntu has become a very polished product indeed.
When they switched to Unity at first I hated it and I switched to Mint
for while, Mint was great and it did everything I wanted it to do. But
something didn't feel right (can't put my finger on why, maybe it didn't
feel as polished) and I went back and decided to give Unity another go.
During my Linux journey I've tried other Distro's (SUSE, Fedora, RedHat
etc ) and always try out the the latest and greatest either via VM or on
a spare laptop, but usually I keep coming back to Ubuntu.

Eventually with some perseverance I've grown to like Unity and have it
installed on both my laptop (13.04) and Desktop (12.10) machines. I love
it on my i5 laptop as it absolutely flies and I've even gotten used to
the global menu because it makes sense to me in that form factor as most
apps I run full screen. On the desktop thatâs a different  story for me,
I hate the global menu and I don't use it. I run two 24" monitors and
usually have all manner of windows/broswers/terminals open at any one
time it just doesn't work for me, so it's turned off - another reason I
love open source software.

I don't like (or maybe I don't fully understand) recent talk of this
convergence of the desktop with mobile devices, if this talk just means
better integration of services then I'm all for it... if it means the
same single UI experience "bluring" the distinction between devices then
I don't see that working for me. Maybe I'm just "old school" but In my
mind my phone is used for "consuming" information and as such requires a
certain UI. Yes I use it for email, but I don't generally send long
you... " until I'm in front of my desktop or laptop.  My desktop/laptop
with its full keyboard and large screen is for "producing"
information/data and I like to work a certain way in that environment.
I've tried using my phone/tablet in this manner, thinking things like
"I'll debug that PLSQL program while I'm watching the TV later" or "I'll
finish off that tech spec while I wait for the wife to finish the
shopping".... I generally give up and wait till I'm in front of my
desktop or laptop before I lose the remainder of what little hair I have
left! I could carry a keyboard with me and plug it in... but honestly I
may as well just carry the laptop.

I watching the development of Unity/Touch with interest but I can see in
the future another switch for me, the Ubuntu Gnome remix is the current
favourite
Sorry for the ramble :)