Re: [LUG] Bye Bye "Snoopers Charter"

Pish pash posh.

Afaicr it is:

If companies want data, the user has to opt in.
If companies want to share data, the user has to opt out (which will
be changing).
(This is on a universal basis but there arguments for an each-time basis).
If the government want a user's data they have to tell the company and
the user and get a warrant.
The company has to give it over if they have it unencrypted (the
validity of this is available to users).
If a company has a breach of information it has to inform its users.
If a company wants to store sensitive informatino (eg credit cards) it
has to obtain a certification.
Governments do not have access to such protected sensitive data

This applies to at least Britain (and the US with British data on
British servers but not with British data on US servers?? Don't know
about that one.)

Do let me know if any of this is different to what I thought it was.
Cited examples are the breach of Play.com, last.fm, wikiileaks,
assange, the blocking of the pirate bay, et al.

Dan Dart
_____
WEB DEVELOPER | SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR | BLOGGER | MUSICIAN
http://dandart.co.uk